Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Blog #6


1. Read through your peer reviews for the Adnalysis. Select one comment you think will help you. Paste the comment and explain why it is a good comment for your paper.


- “It is rather unclear to what your thesis may be, however it is clear that you are providing an argument that this advertisement successfully demonstrates that the product is useful for every day life, such as driving.” This comment is extremely helpful because it states two things about my paper. The first is that I need to work on making my thesis statement clearer. The second is that my paper explains why this advertisement is successful, which means I used good examples and the reader easily understood my argument. From this comment, I learned that I just needed to make my thesis statement reflect what was written in my paper.


2. Define warrants. Why do arguments work better when warrants are shared by the arguer and the audience?


- According to Essentials of Argument, “Warrants are the assumptions, general principles, conventions of specific disciplines, widely held values, commonly accepted beliefs and appeals to human motives that are an important part of any argument.” Warrants are based on a person’s background and perspective, and therefore causes them to be expressed in various ways. Warrants present an argument with critical links and are culture-bound. This means that warrants associated with various cultures will be different from one another due to dissimilar values, beliefs and ways of life. Since warrants start with the arguer, they can either be shared or contradicted by the audience. When the warrants are shared, arguments are more convincing because the audience will accept them. Also, shared warrants are extremely important because they can provide a common ground between the arguer and the audience.


Works Cited:


Wood, Nancy V. Essentials of Argument, 2nd Ed. New Jersey: Pearson Education, Inc. 2009.

1 comment:

  1. I'm confused about the comment. Are you saying that your evidence supports the thesis but the thesis isn't explicit?

    yeah?

    ReplyDelete